Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Thing of the Past

At the moment I'm putting together a document that includes all the research from my advertising capstone course. We've been working for the last four months to think of ways to address the college binge drinking problem, and we've finally come up with a serviceable campaign that "we believe will prove effective in our mission to confront the binge drinking situation." I've become so familiar with writing like an account planner and talking like a telemarketer, that I jokingly advise anyone to double check their wallets after a conversation with me. I may just swipe a $5 from your billfold. You just never know.

Speaking of telemarketing - although I enjoyed the weekly paychecks (especially given the current state of the economy), I was working way too many hours at the site and with several key assignments due over the next four weeks, I found it best to focus all of my energy and effort towards the completion of those assignments, so that I do graduate, or "roll out," as I like to say it.

Quitting the telemarketing site returned 30 hours of time to my disposal, which I made pretty good use of last week. Not only have I been scoping out some ideal job arrangements (more on that later), but I have also returned to something of a social life.



This week I was contacted by a friend with a spare ticket to see Lady Gaga perform at Center Stage in Atlanta. Funnily enough, she told me about her plans to go to the concert at the beginning of March, while I was in the midst of my brief stint at the telemarketing site. Ordinarily, work commitments would've precluded me from attending, but because I was a newly free agent, I of course said yes. Lady Gaga turned to be every bit as charismatic and coquettish on stage as in her music videos and televised performances. I grinned from ear to ear when she said, "People ask me, 'Gaga, why do you talk about sex, and fame, and sequins in your music?' I said, 'Because those are the things I know about. Everyone here is an expert at something.'" This was made even more hilarious when a flamboyant guy behind me yelled, "FELLATIO! I'm good at fellatio!"

Good times. Back to work.

EDIT: I titled this entry "A Thing of the Past" because I am officially declaring worry to be that thing. Man, am I a terrible writer or what? Can't even remember my own diatribes.

4 comments:

BeeCee said...

You saw Lady Gaga? SO jealous right now...

Eboné Smiley said...

I am Green with envy that you saw GaGa. I also understand the quitting a job that sucks time from your life. i just quit the non-paying gig I had and intend to refocus on what i really want to do. How are things otherwise? I keep forgetting but are you graduating in May or in December?

Baron Brown said...

May! I think I added the exclamation point because I shuddered at the thought of yet another semester. I am so sick of school.

Alison M. said...

Oh my, Baron. I think I'm falling in love with your blog.