Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Best $75 I've Ever Spent, EVER!!!!


I'm going to spend the next several paragraphs explaining how much I admire this woman and how great she is at what she does. Consider yourself warned. Still interested? Let's go...

If you say you don't know any of Beyonce's songs, you're lying to yourself. If you say you don't like her or her music, you're still lying to yourself. You'd have to be living in an Amish compound to have never heard of any of her material. Beyonce is, without any doubt, one of the best artists of our generation. Her dedication to memorable artistry and immaculate performances is inspiring and honest. This woman is the real deal because she always gives 100% of herself, and Wednesday night's performance at Philips Arena was no different.

Having recently been listed at #4 in the 2009 Forbes Power issue (click here to read the feature on how she makes her millions) for raking in $87 million between June 2008-June 2009 is proof of how hard she has worked to establish herself as a respected artist in an industry long plagued by racism and sexism. After having sold more than 100 million records by the age of 27, she's accomplished that. Her performance proved that she's worked hard to perfect her craft, and as she said in a recent issue of Ebony, "I will never stop."


Her performance was two hours of flawless singing, dancing and seemingly limitless energy. Floating around the stage in one sexy getup after the other, Beyonce (or Bee, as so many of her fans like to call her) gave the best live performance I'm sure I've ever seen, singing in a variety of genres with an ease and skill reserved for those who've worked their asses off to attain it. Though I'm sure everyone in attendance had a favorite section of the show, my personal favorite was Bee's rendition of "If I Were A Boy," which topped the United World Chart for several weeks at the end of 2008. Though I always liked the song, I never really loved it until I heard it last night, performed with live instruments by her band, Suga Mama. Beyonce performed the song in full diva getup, dressed in a black gladiator top with a black leather skirt, and a pair of black sunglasses to match. She looked awesome and sounded even better. Check the clip below to a) see how damn good she looked and b) watch her perform "If I Were A Boy" in London with one of the UK's finest, George Michael.



I've rambled enough, but if you're reading this and Beyonce's tour has missed your city, make sure you buy a ticket the next time she hits the road. You really need to check this woman out...

1 comment:

Emily Padgett said...

I'm glad you had such a great time! I can't wait til I get to go too!! :)