Friday, January 23, 2009

The Pain of Planning






For some reason, I've been on a big Toni Braxton kick for the past week. I've always been a big fan of her sound - that rich, deep contralto voice and her unapologetic sexiness. Though she only released three GREAT albums (and two mediocre ones), she's a legend in R&B and mainstream music. Ever since Michelle Obama became our new First Lady, my respect for black women has been rejuvenated. Michelle sacrificed a lot in order to support her husband, while making time for her children. Black women are the backbone of America, and I remind anyone who disagrees to remember how hard female slaves had to work to please both their masters and their families. Although I do chuckle at thinking that I had to hunt for a few good minutes to find a photo of Toni in which she was reasonably clothed.

Anyway, January 29 marks 100 days before I become a college graduate. Right now my main priorities are completing my course load without any problems, looking for a (hopefully lucrative and exciting) full-time job, and keeping to a healthy eating and exercise plan. Somewhere along the line I picked up a few side projects, although I'm sure I am not lacking for things to do.

I agreed to help out with the public relations for an SGA (Student Government Association) campaign, and it looks as though I may have to help plan my own graduation party. Not that I intended to have nothing to do with the latter, but I was hoping to leave the majority of the planning duties with my mother and grandmother. But in order to prevent any unnecessary stress (get-togethers involving my family rarely go down without any incidents of high stress), it looks as though I will have to play a larger role in planning than I previously thought. *sigh*

I can't let this get in the way of my job hunt though. In truth, the interactions with my family, both negative and positive, play a pretty big part in whether I'll ultimately take a job in a different state or country. I don't think escapism is healthy, as whatever problem I'd be escaping would be waiting for me when I got back, but putting distance between me and my family could be a good thing. I have a lot of love for them, but I'm not sure if staying close to home after graduation would be the best thing for me. It could do me a world of good to truly live on my own for a year or two.

1 comment:

Eboné Smiley said...

Hello? Don't you know someone who enjoys planning events? Oh yeah, I do!....le sigh