Monday, January 12, 2009

Ay Yi Yi...

So classes have begun (luckily I only have three this semester), and I am optimistic about graduating on a high note. Though I won't be stepping into the best job market possible, I will have options, and that's always a relief.

Recently I joined the typical January fitness craze by diving back into the gym after spending four months of eating the most delicious food Europe has to offer: kebap sandwiches (almost always with fries), croissants, pain au chocolate, steak and roasted potatoes, and my worst habit...crepes. Although I am not exactly sure how much weight I gained while I was in Paris (probably about 10 pounds), I find myself getting better and better each day at getting back into the rhythm of things.

All this week, the fitness center on my campus is running a promotion where all of the group fitness classes are free. As you guessed, they've been packed to capacity, with students eager to shed as much weight as possible while being able to benefit from free training.

Yesterday I told myself I'd try as many of the free classes as possible, so today I went to "Boot Camp" after classes and it KICKED MY BUTT!!!! No joke. I've been jogging/running since high school, and I've never had any trouble completing 2-4 miles on a pace of 5.5-6.0 MPH on a treadmill, but weight training circuits are a whole 'nother kettle of fish. This was our workout (keep in mind we only had about a minute of rest in between each circuit:

- Push-ups
- Jump rope
- Bench Dips
- Stairs
- Squats
- Lunges
- Sit-ups
- Planks

By the time we cooled down with a few stretches, I was so out of breath that I felt nauseous. I Googled this, and it turns out that "exercise-induced nausea" is pretty normal, especially during high intensity regimes. No wonder I've always heard of guys throwing up during football or track practice.

So there you have it, your boy is in even worse shape than he thought. My advice to anyone reading this - get back and stay on the exercise horse ASAP. The longer in between workouts only keeps you rusty, and that never feels good.

No comments: